How to Play UT99 GOTY in 2021
Here’s a guide I wrote for setting up Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition on modern PCs.
- Download and install the latest Oldunreal patch.
- Download and install the Unreal Tournament Bonus Pack #4.
- When starting up UT99 set the renderer to OpenGL on Nvidia or Direct 3D 9 if you’re on AMD, then launch the game.
- In the game open Options, then Preferences, then go to the Video tab and set the FPS limit to 100 to avoid gameplay issues.
- Go to the Network tab and set the Internet Connection to LAN.
- Go to the Input tab, disable mouse smoothing and select Raw Input for the best possible mouse input.
- To Increase system memory go to <path-to-game>\System\ and edit “UnrealTournament.ini”. Find the line “CacheSizeMegs”, set it to higher values like 64 or 128.
- To change the FOV go to <path-to-game>\System\ and edit “User.ini”. Find “DesiredFOV” and “DefaultFOV” and set the values to whatever you want. I use 106 on my 16:9 monitor.
NOTE: Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering can be forced in the GPU control panel.